Monday, April 15, 2013

Bike race–San Lorenzo

Mass Start

At the start line

Jeff Podium

On the ‘Elite’ podium – Jeff took 4th!

We met Jorge Delgado at our first bike race in Cafayate.  After the race, he told us he was organizing another in San Lorenzo (the wealthy suburb outside of Salta).  So of course we had to go.

It turned out to be another ‘rural bike’ format – almost all on dirt roads, and a little pavement.  And it had a lot of climbing (1500 feet worth over 28k), which is great for me (at least when I’m in shape).

I again had to race in the ‘elite’ category, so I was up against the fast guys.  The race had a mass start, so all categories started together.  I was near the front at the start, but the yellow line rule did not appear in effect, and I was a little sketched out when tons of people swarmed around me and were passing in the oncoming traffic lane.  After a few kilometers, I found myself near the back of the pack when the elite guys at the front attacked.  I had to time trial around the slower groups to catch the break, burning matches along the way.  But there I was!  I was excited that finally my fitness was to the point where I could stay in the mix.

The race was more or less and out-and-back, 28k in total.  The first 14k were all uphill, and I was able to assert myself to stay with the chase group (two or three guys broke off the front and I couldn’t match the surge).  And even better, two of my Cafayate companions were up there with me.  After the turnaround at the halfway point, the race was mostly down and flat.  I tried to organize our chase group into a rotation to catch the break.  But about half the group had no idea what was going on.  I realized it’s hard enough to organize an assortment of road racers into a paceline, so what hope was there for a crew of MTB’ers?  A couple of the guys were sketchy, some surged, etc.  But yet it actually went OK, and we were able to put some time into the few guys up the road leading into the final climb.

I didn’t have a very good concept of where I stood by the time the final climb came around.  I guess I’m not used to being near the front at the end of a race.  The finish was also deceptive, with a large climb followed by a flat section, and a short push to the line.  I burned myself on the large climb, thinking the finish was at the top, and was out of gas.  So I churned my way in, feeling pretty good about staying with the group.  A few minutes later, I heard my name over the loudspeaker.  Huh?  It sounded like they were announcing the Elite podium.  Turns out I got 4th in the category, and about 8th overall!  Ezekiel (a Cafayate friend got 3rd), and another Cafayate racer had placed 3rd in Masters 40+.

I even got a trophy!

Afterwards, the Cafayate crew organized a small asado in the park nearby the finish, so we got to toast our results with some delicious BBQ.  What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment